Hapa = Lemming
Got Blue Crab?
OK, Lemmonex didn’t officially tag me to do the “seven things about myself” meme, but I thought this meme would be fun to do. Since this is also a food blog, I’ll keep with the food-related theme.
Man… I’m limited to only 7? I’ll go with the 7 that come up to mind first.
1. Even though I have a lot of familiarity with many dishes in the Filipino culinary pantheon, I still need to learn to cook a lot of those dishes from scratch (most of my hangups right now center around time constraints). What I do know how to cook, however, I cook very well (leche flan, sinigang, and adobong manok/adobong baboy).*
2. If I had the opportunity, I would try balut. Only because I’d try anything once.
3. I eat my eggs with ketchup. I feel no shame in this notion. It’s the closest thing to Jufran banana sauce there is in mainstream US grocery stores.
4. During my time in Hawaii, I ate Spam and actually liked it… not too unlike a lot of my neighbors at the time. I don’t miss it, though; I’ve only had it once since returning stateside.
Once since 1986 isn’t a bad track record, no?
5. Thanks to having had Turkish roommates when first coming to the DC area, I’ve had Raki. Despite its potency, I will not touch it again since I loathe anything anise-flavored.
6. I still don’t quite get (what seems like) the Filipino obsession with potted meat.
Mental note: Don’t introduce Lemmonex to buko pie.
* I’d also like to try my hands at the German culinary pantheon….
Not tagging anyone. Follow the meme only if the spirit moves you. Happy Halloween, y’all!